The 2014 National Curriculum guidelines outline everything that should be covered in art lessons at KS2. This is with the aim to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design;
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical; and cultural development of their art forms.
To meet these aims, art lessons at KS2 should encourage children to do the following things:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and
sculpture with a range of materials; and
- to learn about great artists, architects and designers in history.
- Here at Northern we have created sketch books for the children to complete their work. The children complete work for Art and Design based on their class topic. This is taught weekly. The children enjoy learning new skills and finding out about artists.